- The Ultimate Guide to Women’s Specific Bikes - October 5, 2021
- Top Road Bikes Under $1000: Grab More Speed for Less Cash - October 5, 2021
- Get Fast! 8 Top Carbon Fiber Road Bikes Under $2,000 - October 5, 2021
If you’ve ever wiped out on a bike, you’ve no doubt experienced road rash. Pros Tweet about the perils of trying to sleep with oozing wounds stuck to their sheets. A common cycling injury, road rash refers to a superficial injury or abrasion to the skin and its underlying tissue caused by rubbing or scraping. Need to heal fast? Follow this effective road rash treatment to avoid infection and get back on the bike in no time.
After your skin has taken a trip through the cheese grater, you’ll no doubt feel the intense stinging and pain of the abrasion. Sometimes the body’s natural pain relievers take a bit to set in, so never assume you’re okay after a crash. Stop and take an inventory of the damage and, if in doubt, seek out medical help to rule out more serious injuries.
There are a few precautions you can take to mitigate the damage, should you crash. The first is to shave your legs (see, there is a good reason to shave!). Shaving makes it easier to clean and bandage wounds following a crash. The second precaution is to wear cycling gloves when you ride to provide some protection to your hands. If you’re a mountain biker or BMXer, wear elbow or shin guards when ripping technical terrain or performing stunts.
If your wound is no larger than the palm of your hand and only a surface abrasion, follow these treatment tips. Otherwise, call your doc.
How to treat road rash at home
- Antibiotic ointment Neosporin + Pain Relief Dual Action Ointment | Amazon$8.74
1-ounce tube of Neosporin Plus Pain Relief Dual Action Antibiotic Ointment for first aid wound care from the #1 doctor recommended brand.We earn a commission if you click this link and make a purchase at no additional cost to you.08/22/2022 07:37 pm GMT
- Gauze pads Mckesson Performance plus Gauze Sponge Cover Dressing Sterile | Amazon$8.40 ($0.17 / Count)
Medi-Pak Performance Plus Gauze Sponges Sterile 100% cotton. Appropriate for wound dressing, cleaning, prepping, or packing. Reduced linting. Packed in a convenient, peelable pouch. Single-Use Not Made With Natural Rubber Latex.We earn a commission if you click this link and make a purchase at no additional cost to you.08/23/2022 05:36 am GMT
- Alcohol wipes Dynarex Alcohol Prep Pad Sterile, Medium, 200 count$4.99 ($0.02 / Count)
Dynarex Alcohol Prep Pad, Sterile, Medium (Box of 200).We earn a commission if you click this link and make a purchase at no additional cost to you.08/23/2022 04:16 am GMT
- Tegaderm or Duoderm bandage (studies have shown that there are minor differences between the two) Tegaderm Transparent Dressing | Amazon$19.25 ($1.92 / Count)
Tegaderm Transparent Dressing is a thin, clear sterile dressing that keeps out water, dirt and germs, yet lets skin breathe. It's the number one hospital brand transparent dressing in the U.S.We earn a commission if you click this link and make a purchase at no additional cost to you.08/22/2022 05:36 pm GMTConvaTec DuoDERM Extra Thin CGF Dressings 4 X 4 Inches 187955 10 Each$43.99
DuoDERM Extra Thin dressing is a hydrocolloid dressing indicated for the management of lightly exuding wounds. It combines a unique ConvaTec hydrocolloid formulation that distinguishes it from other hydrocolloid dressings and a vapor-permeable outer film to provide an occlusive moist environment.We earn a commission if you click this link and make a purchase at no additional cost to you.08/22/2022 06:01 pm GMT
- Spandage MT08 - Cut-to-Fit MT Spandage | Amazon$26.00 ($26.00 / Count)
Cut-to-Fit MT Spandage, Size 8, 25 yds. (Average Chest, Back, Perineum and Axilla)We earn a commission if you click this link and make a purchase at no additional cost to you.08/22/2022 06:36 pm GMT
- Start with clean hands. Then clean the area well to remove any particles, dirt or gravel. Sodium chloride works the best and using a syringe will help add the gentle pressure necessary to push out debris. You can also keep a dedicated wound cleaner like Shur-Clens, on hand. Dermal Wound Skin/Wound Cleanser | Amazon$9.97 ($1.25 / Fl Oz)
Dermal wound contains the active antimicrobial ingredient Benzethonium Chloride to help prevent bacterial contamination in minor cuts, scrapes and burns.We earn a commission if you click this link and make a purchase at no additional cost to you.08/22/2022 07:51 pm GMT
- Use a mild, antibiotic soap and either some clean gauze or a washcloth to very gently scrub the area. This will help prevent infection.
- If debris remains in the wound, a doctor will need to professionally clean it.
- For a minor rash, doctor’s suggest applying a layer of antibiotic ointment and then covering it with a thin, non-adhesive gauze pad, changed daily.
- For deeper wounds, cover the area with antibiotic ointment and then apply Tegaderm, a transparent film dressing that is permeable to moisture vapor and air to promote healing, but is waterproof and won’t allow bacteria to penetrate the wound. You can leave the Tegaderm or Duoderm in place while the wound heals.
One tip I’ve found extremely useful is to apply the Tegaderm, leaving a small opening at the bottom. Apply a layer of antibiotic lotion to this open area and secure a thin layer of gauze over the opening. Not only will it catch any liquids that drain from the wound, but it makes it simple to clean: Just change the gauze pad daily. You can secure the gauze with medical tape or Spandage.
Once the wound dries up and begins to scab over, remove the bandages.
If the wound shows any sign of pus, swelling, increased redness or pain or if the draining fluid smells like those cycling socks you left in your car, it’s best to get checked out by a doctor to rule out infection.
How to prevent scarring
Once the scab falls off, you’ll see new, pink skin underneath. As this new skin is healing, keep it out of direct sunlight or use sunscreen until the skin has completely healed. This will help decrease discoloration. I’m also a huge fan of Mederma following a gnarly crash, to prevent scarring. Another proven technique is to massage the wound (once it has healed) a couple of times a day. Use your finger to massage the scar gently using tiny circles to increase circulation and break down any adhesions. Moisturize the scar daily with Aquaphor or Eucerin creams.
Works for many types of scars, including acne scars, surgery scars, and scars from burns, cuts, and other injuries.
1 essential solution for many skin care needs: Use as a lip moisturizer, hand cream, foot cream for dry cracked feet, minor wound care and much more.
Relieve and help prevent dry, itchy skin with a daily creme specifically formulated to calm dry, itchy skin and keep it moisturized.
Skin Abrasions and Road Rash Treatment
Want even more cycling hacks or to connect with a community of like-minded cyclists? Join us in our free Facebook Group.
Note: I’m a blogger and massage therapist, not a medical doctor. Though I’ve consulted and cited doctors for this post, please don’t mistake it for personalized medical advice. Don’t be a knucklehead: If in doubt, seek assistance from a medical professional.